This recipe is exploding with Asian flavors. It gives kids a low-fat alternative to other traditional-style wraps, and there’s added protein (with the ground turkey) and a healthy crunch (from coleslaw) that kids enjoy. Plus, you can build your own wrap and add all of your favorite ingredients!
Makes 10 wraps
1 pound ground turkey
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
½ cup low sodium chicken broth
¼ cup peanut butter, creamy-style
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoons sesame seed oil (olive oil can be used)
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 cup coleslaw mix
10 leaves Boston Bibb lettuce
1 package Asian rice noodles, optional*
- Combine turkey, cilantro, soy sauce, and chili-garlic sauce in a bowl. Refrigerate, and marinate for 15 minutes.
- In separate bowl, mix chicken broth, peanut butter, and oyster sauce; set this mixture aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, and then add oil. Add turkey mixture. Cook until lightly browned, approximately 10 minutes. Add ginger, and cook for another minute. Add peanut butter mixture, and cook until thickened, approximately 3 minutes.
- Transfer turkey mixture to a bowl. Toss in coleslaw mix. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Divide turkey mixture between 10 lettuce leaves; serve.
* If you use Asian rice noodles, reconstitute them in hot water until tender. Drain and cool. Sprinkle noodles with a small amount of soy sauce. Add noodles to the wraps to make them even more fun to eat.