In 1968, founding members of Moulthrop-Clift, Inc. (MCI) pose in their Bay City office, located at Washington Avenue and 4th Street, to commemorate the merger of W.O. Clift & Co. and the Guy Moulthrop Insurance Agency. Pictured (left to right) are (front row) Guy R. Moulthrop (1900-1974), Guy T. Moulthrop (current chairman), Lyle M. Clift (1892-1976); (back row) Henry G. Rexer, Charles W. Grube, Jack A. Ryman, John D. Wheeler, and Robert A. McKinley.
Moulthrop-Clift is one of the oldest independent insurance agencies still operating in Michigan. The Historical Society of Michigan has recognized Moulthrop-Clift as a Michigan sesquicentennial business for its “more than 150 years of continuous operation in service to the people of Michigan and for contributing to the economic growth and vitality of our state.”
Past historian Marvin Kusmierz (www.bay-journal.com) traces Moulthrop-Clift’s roots back to 1849 and insurance salesman John Drake, who sold insurance in the village of Lower Saginaw (now Bay City). The first of Moulthrop-Clift’s growth-enabling mergers occurred in 1895 when Drake, age 88, consolidated his insurance business with the Clift-Bush agency, owned by William O. Clift and Adelbert E.R. Bush. Moulthrop-Clift’s most recent merger was nearly 50 years ago in 1968 (pictured).
Today, Moulthrop-Clift, Inc., located at 701 N. Madison Avenue, Bay City, and 5100 Eastman Avenue, Midland, is owned by brothers Guy and Blair Moulthrop, the third generation of their family to lead the agency. Other owners include Ed LeBuda, Dennis Sampson, and Ann Broughton. Coverage offered by the full-service agency includes property/casualty, life, and group benefits. Moulthrop-Clift employs 20 longtime professional associates and represents over 50 insurance companies, including its largest insurance carrier, Auto-Owners (since 1972). Photo courtesy of Moulthrop-Clift, Inc. (www.mciinsurance.com).
All Rights Reserved Great Lakes Bay Business and Lifestyle Magazine