St. Vincent’s Orphan Home Band

orphan band

An undated photo postcard, likely from around 1900, features the boys’ band at St. Vincent’s Orphan Home, Saginaw. A July 8, 1892, Saginaw Evening News article records, “Every child [at St. Vincent’s] is educated, and where one shows a talent for music it is cultivated to the utmost.”

Orphans in privately funded childcare institutions, such as St. Vincent’s was then, often performed at fundraising events. The 1918 History of Saginaw County, Michigan (James Cooke Mills) describes community-wide donations to St. Vincent’s as “principally derived at the annual banquet given on the anniversary of Washington’s Birthday, given by the devoted women of the Catholic parishes.”

St. Vincent’s Orphan Home, which provided any orphaned and indigent children with food, shelter, education, and moral and religious training, was founded in 1875 by Father Francis Van der Bom, first pastor of St. Mary’s, Saginaw. The home started out at Hoyt and Owen streets with three children and a laywoman and soon expanded to serve 15 under the operation of three invited Sisters of Charity, directed by Sister Cecilia Casey. In 1877, a large wood-framed home was completed on Howard and Emerson streets to take in children ages 2-12. By 1892, building additions enabled housing for about 98 children.

The Great Fire of May 20, 1893, destroyed the orphanage, and its 112 orphans were temporarily housed throughout the city. Community donations, especially by Saginaw lumber baron Edward Germain, enabled the 1894 completion of a replacement brick facility. In 1969, St. Vincent’s was moved to the Holy Spirit Parish campus, Shields. In 1985, the home’s care was transferred to the direction/ownership of Boysville of Michigan/Holy Cross Children’s Services. Photo courtesy of Castle Museum, Saginaw.


orphan band

An undated photo postcard, likely from around 1900, features the boys’ band at St. Vincent’s Orphan Home, Saginaw. A July 8, 1892, Saginaw Evening News article records, “Every child [at St. Vincent’s] is educated, and where one shows a talent for music it is cultivated to the utmost.”

Orphans in privately funded childcare institutions, such as St. Vincent’s was then, often performed at fundraising events. The 1918 History of Saginaw County, Michigan (James Cooke Mills) describes community-wide donations to St. Vincent’s as “principally derived at the annual banquet given on the anniversary of Washington’s Birthday, given by the devoted women of the Catholic parishes.”

St. Vincent’s Orphan Home, which provided any orphaned and indigent children with food, shelter, education, and moral and religious training, was founded in 1875 by Father Francis Van der Bom, first pastor of St. Mary’s, Saginaw. The home started out at Hoyt and Owen streets with three children and a laywoman and soon expanded to serve 15 under the operation of three invited Sisters of Charity, directed by Sister Cecilia Casey. In 1877, a large wood-framed home was completed on Howard and Emerson streets to take in children ages 2-12. By 1892, building additions enabled housing for about 98 children.

The Great Fire of May 20, 1893, destroyed the orphanage, and its 112 orphans were temporarily housed throughout the city. Community donations, especially by Saginaw lumber baron Edward Germain, enabled the 1894 completion of a replacement brick facility. In 1969, St. Vincent’s was moved to the Holy Spirit Parish campus, Shields. In 1985, the home’s care was transferred to the direction/ownership of Boysville of Michigan/Holy Cross Children’s Services. Photo courtesy of Castle Museum, Saginaw.

Related

Man rubbing his eyesMan rubbing his eyes

Digital Eyestrain and Ways to Reduce It

With most people working from home, there are increasing complaints about digital eye strain.

Spreading Joy Year Round

Billed as the world’s largest Christmas store, the trip to Bronner’s has become a family tradition for many guests lo…

Helping People, Helping Homes

The items offered through the Care Store provide residents with essentials not covered by government assistance progr…

Best of Great Lakes Bay

We asked our readers in a social media poll for their thoughts on the holiday food traditions they can’t live without.
Fashion for the seasonFashion for the season

Nothing Off Limits

All decades have been called into action and are ready to serve a look back through the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s.

Connect

Contact

517.203.3333

221 W. Saginaw St.
Lansing MI, 48933

All Rights Reserved 517 Business and Lifestyle Magazine. Website designed and developed by M3 Group